Start a Coffee Roasting Business
We help companies to start a coffee roasting business or improve an existing businesses. Services range from conceptual planning through physical design and launch. The practice experience offered by our team will save your company time and money.
Improve an Established Roastery
For established coffee roasters, we offer services to increase coffee quality or production efficiency. For those considering buying a coffee roaster for sale, we provide guidance and due diligence for the buyer or seller disclosure. Our goal with everything we do is to add value and help your business excel.
Coffee Roasting Business Planning
- Market research. Analyze consumer buying trends and flavor preferences. Evaluate competitor performance. Assist prioritizing market opportunities and risks. Calculate costs and benefits of building versus contract roasting.
- Flavor profiling. Tasting and evaluation of national and international competitive coffees for competitive positioning.
- Brand strategy. Assist with brand strategy to best position a business to take advantage of consumer and (if applicable) wholesale coffee market opportunities.
- Pricing strategy. Assist with the development of a consumer retail and wholesale price strategy model that maximizes profit.
- Forecasting / Budgeting. Assist with the development of forecasts and budgets based on available market data.
- Regulatory planning. Research regulations or other licensing requirements that may be necessary in your jurisdiction.
Services to Design and Build a Coffee Roasting Plant
Roasting machine manufacturers may provide similar services for roasting plant design. Our approach takes into consideration the perspective of a user. We make improvements in efficiency and convenience beyond standard factory designs.
- Roasting plant physical requirements. Design and engineer green storage facilities, roasting facilities, finished product storage, quality control laboratory and all necessary equipment and tools that will be best suited to meet quality goals and production forecasts.
- Sustainability, environmental engineering & compliance. –Advise on coffee roaster air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, including opportunities for efficiency and LEED facility and process engineering.
- Flavor and roast profiles. Develop and document roast and flavor profiles to maintain product consistency;
- Green coffee buying plan. Develop a green coffee purchasing plan with recommended origins and/or estates, as well as a calendar of seasonal available coffees and alternatives.
- RFP bid administration and supplier negotiation. Issue and evaluate requests for proposals, evaluate and / or locate best suppliers of coffee-related capital equipment (e.g. roaster, packaging machines), services and supplies.
- Facility engineering. Design and develop a roasting facility using our practical experience having operated and worked in similar facilities worldwide.
- Quality assessment. Assess and grade green coffee samples for quality and taste, evaluate and approve samples for purchase and continue to provide those services on a long-term basis to ensure consistency.
Roasting Plant Operations and Skills Training
- Staffing. Specify the job functions of employees that will work at the facilities and, as appropriate, assist with candidate evaluation and hiring.
- Procedures. Develop and specify daily procedures performed by each job role.
- Coffee tasting. Develop and conduct coffee taster training at varying degrees of intensity, ranging from the most basic quality control evaluation skills for retail associates to more complex sensory evaluation skills for staff with critical quality evaluation responsibilities.
- Sales. Create sales training and support materials. Lead training workshops for in house and field representatives to close new business.
- Retail. Develop a company’s retail training procedures and optional training facility for wholesale or consumers.
Coffee Marketing and Sales Support
- Brand marketing. Advise your staff or outside marketing company on elements and processes that are unique to your business or otherwise assist with the development of creative marketing programs.
- Sales support. Assist sales and marketing to develop strategic sales plans and pursue individual accounts.
- Marketing communications. Develop a marketing plan including media promotion, public relations and direct marketing. These may include special consumer events and promotions to suit an available marketing budget.